Level 03 (Lessons 31 -
45) Practice Cards (in MS Word .doc format)
Review: BECOME / CHOOSE / DURING / MOVE / PROCEED / SATISFY /
SOMEONE-SOMETHING-SINGLE / TRADE-[swap]
Practice sheet 45.A
01. SUPPOSE YOUR BODY, CAN TRADE OTHER PERSON THEIR BODY, YOU CHOOSE WHO?
02. YOUR EARS, CAN MOVE-[small_back_and_forth_movement] YOU?
03. YOUR NOSE, YOU SATISFY YOU?
04. DURING SIGN-[fluently] ASL SHOULD USE MOUTH QM-wig?
05. YOUR HOUSE, YOU SIT, CAN HEAR TRAIN YOU?
Practice sheet 45.B
06. YOUNG BROTHER, SISTER YOU HAVE?
07. BEFORE-[prior_to] OLD-16, YOU KISS SOMEONE?
08. YOUR FAMILY PROCEED-[get-along] MOST TIME?
09. YOU DRIVE CAREFUL YOU?
10. SUPPOSE BOY, GIRLFRIEND CARELESS, MAYBE HAPPEN WHAT?
Practice sheet 45.C
11. YOUR MOM PREGNANT HOW-MANY TIME?
12. SUPPOSE YOU COUGH COUGH, CAN'T STOP, what-DO?
13. YOU DRUNK BEFORE?
14. HAPPEN YOU HEADACHE, MEDICINE YOU TAKE-PILL WHAT-KIND?
15. YOUR L-E-G YOU BREAK PAST YOU?
Practice sheet 45.D
16. DRAW HEAD, CAN YOU? (Are you able to draw a head? / artwork)
17. HANDS BECOME COLD TEND YOU?
18. Every-YEAR, WINTER, HEAD-COLD YOU?
19.YOUR HEART HOW IMPROVE?
20. IF C-U-T NOT CLEAN-up, WILL INFECTION?
CHOOSE: There are several versions of the sign CHOOSE.
All of them are based on the idea of using your index finger and
thumb to take hold of your "choice" and pull it up/and or toward
yourself. You may see the sign "PICK-UP" (which is related to
the sign CHOOSE) done with the middle finger and the thumb (a
palm-down open-8 that changes into a palm-down-8-handshape).
MOVE: The sign for MOVE is highly adaptable. You can adjust
the movement of the MOVE sign to show "how" something is moving.
When signing "move your ears" you would do the sign near your ears
and use a very small movement. Or you could ditch the MOVE
sign altogether and use "bent" hands that bend and unbend slightly
to show the movement of the ears (as a classifier or depictive
CUT: There are many ways to sign the concept of "CUT." The right
sign depends on what is being cut, what you are cutting it with, where you
are cutting at, and in what manner you are cutting. If you are cutting with
scissors, then use a "V" handshape. If you are cutting with a knife, then
use an index finger. If you are cutting with a scalpel then use the
thumbnail of an "A" handshape.
CLEAN-up: The sign for "CLEAN-up" does the "CLEAN" sign quickly twice. It
represents brushing off a table or other surface. The CLEAN sign is also the
same sign as NICE"
WINTER: The sign for WINTER can be done without initialization if you
have enough context. If your sentence lacks context then use the "W"
HEAD-COLD: Is one sign not two. It looks (somewhat) as if you are
wiping your nose (twice) with a tissue.
QM-wig: Is a way of writing wiggle your index finger between being a
straight index finger and being an "X" handshape in order to represent a
Deaf Culture and History: Deaf Smith
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
As far as whether or not you should use your mouth see the "Mouth Morphemes"
section of the Lifeprint Library.
Dr. Bill's new iPhone "Fingerspelling Practice" app is
GET IT HERE!
NEW! Online "ASL Training Center!" (Premium Subscription Version of ASLU) **
CHECK IT OUT **
Also available: "ASLUniversity.com" (a mirror of Lifeprint.com
less traffic, fast access) **
VISIT NOW **